Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the

evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1




10 July 2010

London Bridge Is Falling Down

"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady."

This song was stuck in my head all day yesterday. At lunch, somehow we started talking about the difference between London Bridge and Tower Bridge, and how once, someone in the States bought the original London Bridge and had it shipped over to them (somewhere in Arizona, I think). But, they actually meant to purchase the Tower Bridge instead, and got really mad when they realized they got the wrong one. Typical rich people, not thinking first, right? Haha.

There really is a huge difference: the London Bridge is much smaller than the Tower Bridge, and the Tower Bridge has only been around since about the 1800s, I think? The London Bridge is the one they used to post people's head on after they'd been excuted back in Medieval times.

Pam and I visited both of them last night. Well, okay, we visited the Tower Bridge and then were able to see the London Bridge from there and take pictures. Actually, first we took the Underground to Green Park and went to Buckingham Palace. From there we walked to the Westminster area and saw Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye. From there we took the Underground to the Tower Bridge and saw the Tower of London and walked around that area, until finally tired out and headed back to Baker Street and to the Met for some drinks. Our feet were very sore today from wearing our sandals last night, but it was pretty out and we got some good photos!

Let's see, other than that, what have I done this week.... hmm.........

Well, Tuesday we all went and took a tour of Parliament. It was very interesting. Did you know that the Parliament building used to be a palace? The last actual monarch to live there was King Henry VIII, though. There are over 1,000 rooms in that place. We saw maybe like .5% of them.
After that a few of us went to an Indian restaurant for lunch (and it was actually pretty good, although I couldn't tell you what I ate), and then Pam, Nick and I hit Oxford Street for some shopping. It was very crowded. Reminded me of the day after Thanksgiving sales we have here - only it's like that every day on Oxford Street. I'd hate to work there.

Wednesday we officially started classes, and those occupied my time for 6 hours - History of Rock & Roll from 9-12, break for lunch from 12-1, and then Comparative Government from 1-4. They're tough, but we only have them three days a week. Later that night I met up with some of the girls at dinner and went over to the Met with them for the first time. It's actually called The Metropolitan, but it's sort-of become the local favorite spot for all of us on the trip. It's got the cheapest drinks and food and it's only a short walk from campus.

Thursday was about the same, class until 4, and then a break until dinner (the Caf opens at 5). After dinner, a group of us decided to go out to Abbey Road and take pictures like the Beatles did. It was tricky and we didn't get the exact shot, but we got close enough (after about 100 attempts). We headed to the Met after doing some sight-seeing.

I just told you about Friday (Buckingham Palace, bridges... ring a bell?), although I left out that during the day Pam and I did some souvenir shopping and went to the Picadilly Circus area and the National Portrait Gallery, and today, well, today was Saturday, and it was also about 84 degrees outside. In other words, today was very, VERY hot! Nevertheless, Pam, Nick and myself headed to Camden Town to see all the little shops and markets they have there, and Nick showed me the shop where he and Dr. Tubbs got there tattoos last weekend. I got my ear pierced there as well. Camden was extremely crowded and dirty-feeling, compared to what we're used to on Baker Street, but it was very interesting. I would've like to have spent more time there if it weren't so darn hot! We came back to campus after a while to just relax and shower until dinner, which was on our own tonight, so we went to (you guessed it) the Met. I got a gourmet chicken burger and chips and it was delicious - really hit the spot! (In addition to the Belgian waffle with chocolate syrup and ice cream that I had for dessert.) Tomorrow is Sunday, and Pam and I are planning to have a picnic in the park for lunch. I'll have to pack tomorrow, too, because we're leaving on Monday for Edinburgh, Scotland for two weeks! We're also going to the Hob Goblin pub tomorrow night to watch the World Cup - this should be interesting. Dr. Mego doesn't know what kind of internet access we'll have in Edinburgh yet - hopefully there will be WiFi in our apartments...

No comments:

Post a Comment